Friday, 21 September 2007

goose moon

I am not convinced by life, by my life, which is a damnable thing to say as I watch someone else die, I am sure they value their life, terrible timing, when they seemed to have been finally enjoying things.

A just past half moon slices through clouds low over the hill, and geese fly cackling past in their v's.

I suddenly think of a poem that has lodged in my memory for many years
As I Walked Out One Evening. W.H. Auden of which I shall quote some excerps below:

"I'll love you till the ocean
Is folded and hung up to dry
And the seven stars go squawking
Like geese about the sky.
........

"O plunge your hands in water,
Plunge them in up to the wrist;
Stare, stare in the basin
And wonder what you've missed.

"The glacier knocks in the cupboard,
The desert sighs in the bed,
And the crack in the tea-cup opens
A lane to the land of the dead.
.........

"O look, look in the mirror?
O look in your distress:
Life remains a blessing
Although you cannot bless.

"O stand, stand at the window
As the tears scald and start;
You shall love your crooked neighbour
With your crooked heart."
...

No comments: